Saturday, September 22, 2012

Meet the Queen!


This sewing machine was produced sometime about 1900 by the Davis Sewing Machine Company for A.G. Mason.The treadle irons resemble the Davis irons. From what information I can find on the Internet (not much!) the Davis Company was purchased by White Sewing Machine Company. So most references for this sewing machine are for a "White Queen Sewing Machine".



 Above are the before cleaning pictures. I only used sewing machine oil to clean the machine head as the decals are very fragile. I sprayed the treadle irons with Triflow oil then wiped them down. I then used Hornsby Neutral Furniture Restore on the cabinet. The veneer needs some TLC on the top but that is a future project. 



Here are the pictures after an oil spa bath. I hooked up the old treadle belt that came with her (needs a new one) and all systems are functioning. In the future I may gently apply a light coat of new shellac over the decals to protect them. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on the machine and cabinet. According to the Needlebar website, your "Queen" was made by White rather than Davis. The treadle irons do look a lot like Davis but Davis never made a fiddle shaped head. National purchased Davis after they went bankrupt in 1924. White bought Domestic in the same year.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful job, indeed. Yeah, I wondered as she doesn't appear to look much like a Davis, in my limited knowledge.
    Oldsewnsew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful restoration job . I inherited mine from my grandmother years before I appreciated antiques. Consequently I put the machine part in the garage and it got thrown away! Now I'm on the long hunt for a replacement ... if you ever see/find one let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful indeed, my brother and I inherited one just like this from my dear mother who passed in the recent year. It has been in the family from the 1900's or earlier, it has never left the family, if interested I can be contacted at jarnet1952@gmail.com

      Delete