Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Davis Vertical Feed 2

A Davis Vertical Feed treadle sewing machine has been on my wish list for quite awhile. I saw one on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago and sent the seller a message asking if it was available. Yes, it was. I told her I wanted it expressing my love of vintage and antique sewing machines. Best of all was when she told she would sell it to me and tell any other interested parties it was sold.

Whoo Hoo, a clear day and enough sunlight to take a picture. Here she is before cleaning all of the old hardened oil, dirt and dust.

This photo shows the unusual walking foot needle mechanism that feeds the fabric. This machine does not have feeddogs.


Look how nice the imbedded measuring tape has survived an earlier attempted wood restoration.



Sure a lot of mysterious and odd looking attachments in one of her drawers.


Awesome, a very tattered manual, a needle (I hope it is one of those very hard to find Davis VF needles) another odd looking attachment and half of a paid utility bill from 1954. Wonderful, perhaps I can put my genealogy sleuthing skills to work and give this machine a history.

This machine will need a lot of work this summer to restore the veneered wood surfaces. Because there had been an attempt at a restoration I am not worried that she won't have an original finish.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice Davis and Congratulations. Good luck with the genealogy. If you can find a Date of Birth and death for the inventor, Job A Davis, that would really be something. Enjoy your machine.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. a Davis vertical feed is also on my wish list. congrats on your find. If you use TR3 automotive cleaner, I bet you find some very beautiful decals under that grime. Just go gently. Treadleon is a great place to find info fixing and using people powered sewing machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a davis vertical feeding machine for sale. email me if interested jhammonds80@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. How fortunate you were to find the whole kit-n-caboodle! I'm a little envious of your getting all those attachments. I'll be looking for the finished project. Jim (oldsewnsew on QB)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too got one of those odd pieces with my Davis. Anybody know what it is?

    ReplyDelete