Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dusky Grouse Quilt, aka Prairie Chicken. The pattern was designed by Nancy Harcourt of Prairie Queen Pattern Company. It is a "scrappy" quilt made completely from my fabric stash. The backing fabric is good Portuguese flannel sheets purchased from Goodwill. The batting is cotton. I used the Quilt As You Go method to construct the blocks. The quilting is Free Motion Quilting using my Singer 15-91, HQ Sweet Sixteen quilting machine and Elna 7300 Quilting Queen Pro. I relied on Leah Day's book, 365 Free Motion Quilting Designs, for quilting inspiration.

This quilt ended up being 120"x108", an extra large queen sized as I added a plain black pillow tuck at the top because I did not want to make 5 more Grouse blocks. It was not a good day for outdoor pictures. And it was difficult to find a place to hang such a large quilt. The arbor in front of the green house was pressed into service.

 
                                         The Quilt Inspector approves of the quilt on the bed.
                                       
                                         Another close up of a quilted block. The quilting design
                                         in the body of the Grouse I designed myself by making
                                         a cardboard template and marking the flannel backing
                                         with a washable marker.                                        

                                          The back of the pillow tuck showing the quilting
Overall this is one of my favorite quilts to complete. The QAYG method was a challenge because it was the first time I had used it and I chose to use cornerstones in the sashings.

No comments:

Post a Comment